FROM: BILL BROCK
TASK FORCE MEMBER
This memo is circulated in light of events up to and including the Chairperson request for input from Councillors because “several people suggested it” noting there was no direction from committee members to do so.
Status as I see committee work to date and factors I would like to see considered further.
· The detailed review of reporting systems for City Council and Administration is all right and contains all the appropriate checks and balances to ensure Council has the final say and reports are complete with options and recommendations accompanied by rational from Administration.
THIS SYSTEM WORKS WHETHER YOU
HAVE ONE COMMITTEE OR TWENTY
COMMITTEES; THIS SYSTEM WORKS
WHETHER YOU HAVE 3 Councillors OR 40
There has been no disagreement on this point to
· There needs to be a system identified that allows the committee to measure the pros and cons of each criteria identified as factors to be considered when considering the various options:
Criteria examples would include numbers,
dollars, accountability, staff resources, number
of committees, timing of meetings, full time, part
time, public access, simplicity, communities of
interest, policy role, administration involvement
of Councillors, external influences etc..
· There needs to be clarification of terms so that we are all working from the same page.
Examples: Full time Councillor
Communities of Interest
Committee of Whole
Special Interest Groups
· Some City Council options to consider:
(1) present, 14 wards, 14 councillors, 4 Board of Control, 1 Mayor
(2) 28 councillors, 28 wards, no Board of Control, 1 mayor
(3) 9 councillors; 3 executive members, 1 mayor
(4) 7 councillors; 3 board of control, 1 mayor
· Some committee options to consider:
(1) 2 committees; ˝ council members
(2) 2 committees plus regularly scheduled committee of whole
(3) one committee; one day per week; council meets every second week
(4) budget committee meets regularly and monitors ongoing actual to budget
· Review Boards and Commissions required by law verses optional (Council membership on same)
· Review examples of topics to validate that the system worked or not?
Examples: Pedestrian Safety Committee
Public input process on planning issues
Budget process for public input
Absenteeism reporting process
· Review Council terms as to whether 2 years, 3 years or 4 is more accountable.
· Rational for increasing public interest verse apparent
disinterest at present time.
· Examine Council structure in light of external pressures from Provincial and Federal influences. This could impact on role of Council
This memo is circulated for FYI and will be further inputted by me at upcoming meetings. I am prepared to discuss any of the examples given; noting; those identified are examples and are not intended as my position on any one topic.
As indicated at the start of this memo the process works; the breakdown appears to be human failure to follow the procedures that are in place.